Saturday, June 9, 2007

Last night I went to Plattsburgh with Sean, Christina, and Monique. Sean is working as a lab tech in the environmental science labs here, and Christina and Monique are in the equine program. We went to a bar called Monopole, which is supposedly the oldest bar in Plattsburgh. It has an upstairs and a downstairs, each with a bar, and there are pool tables and darts. It reminded me a lot of Andy’s in Chestertown, without the free popcorn. There was a band playing upstairs. They are called Lucid and Sean had seen them a few times before (he goes to SUNY Plattsburgh). They were a jam band but they covered some songs too, like Van Morrison’s Into the Mystic. They were pretty good.

This morning I went to the Farmer’s Market in Plattsburgh. I bought a tomato plant. It is called Patio hybrid. It already has a few blossoms we should have tomatoes by the end of the month. I feel like Chestertown is just a few hours away from here. The landscape is so similar. There are the same farms and farmhouses and John Deere dealerships and tractors in fields and there are even Scenic Byway signs. For much of the way to Plattsburgh, if you take Route 9 (the back way) there are gorgeous views of Lake Champlain. On my way back, I stopped to look at Point Au Roche State Park. I told the girl at the gate I just wanted to look around and she didn’t charge me the admission price. There are tons of picnic tables and grills, and there are indoor restrooms, but the beach is small and obviously manmade. I think I will go a few times this summer when I need a beach fix.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

So nice to see what you are doing. Sounds like it might even be more fun than Champaign. Missing you this summer.

LauraB said...

Tonie, it is exciting to read about all you're doing this summer! I'm jealous! Love you lots!