Friday, June 22, 2007

Tomatoes! I still stand by my prediction that we'll have ripe tomatoes by the end of June, especially at the rate these guys are growing!

I don’t have too much to say about Crops. I merged on Tuesday and Wednesday, and helped with the Ag-Bagger. We got the last of the first cut hay chopped and bagged on Thursday, and second cut starts Monday! It should not take 3 days to get 15 acres of hay chopped and bagged, but that’s what happens when it rains.
Front of the chopper.

Back of the chopper. It even says Miner Institute on the side but it's a little hard to see in this picture. We got most of it mowed and merged on Tuesday, but then it rained, so Wednesday was spent using the merger to flip over the stuff that was already on the ground so it could dry out again, and we didn’t finish chopping until Thursday afternoon.
Front of the merger.
Back of the merger, see where it says HayBuddy?
In the downtime, the guys worked on fixing the new merger, and I did odd jobs like greasing all the equipment with the grease gun, which is mildly fun, and sweeping the whole shop and washing all the tractor windows, which are not that fun. Today, I spent the whole morning sitting in the tractor attached to the manure agitator. Luckily there’s a radio or I would have been bored out of my mind.

At lunch, Steve Mooney talked about some research he’s presenting at a conference later this summer, and the only parts I understood were when he said, “The acid donates a hydrogen.” Thank you, Dr. Creegan.

The weather here continues to amaze me. The past 3 days have had highs in the 70s and it was cool enough this morning that I had hot chocolate at breakfast. It’s supposed to get down to the 40s tonight. I have milking at 4:30 am next week, which may make a coffee drinker out of me at last.

MoCo the mower.
The big, new, fancy tractor that no one likes because it doesn't shift smoothly. But I can drive it!
The tractor that used to have the merger hooked up to it but now it has the manure agitator.

1 comment: