Friday, June 1, 2007

Today I milked! The boy I worked with was Cory. It takes about 6 hours to milk all 272 cows. It was definitely the most physically demanding work I’ve done yet. You are on your feet the whole time. My arms got a little tired at times, because the automatic milkers are heavy and you have to hold them with one hand while you put them on the udder with the ‘udder.’ Haha I crack myself up! Okay, so the place where the cows get milked is called the parlor. There is a pit where we work and the cows’ udders are about at eye level. There are 12 stalls on each side.

First, there is a gun/wand thingy that makes iodine foam and we dip all the teats with that. Then you strip (hand milk each teat once) and then you wipe. You have to use a clean washcloth for each cow. (There are a washer and dryer just around the corner from the parlor, and we do 2 loads of washcloths for every shift!) Finally you attach the milkers. When the udder is empty, they detach automatically. I’m milking all weekend, so I hope I’ll have it down by Sunday.

Happy cows being milked:

1 comment:

David D said...

That joke was udderly ridiculous...