Thursday, August 9, 2007

All this week I have been sitting in the tractor, stirring the manure pit. I finished both Farmer Boy and Harry Potter by Tuesday, tried to read James Joyce on Wednesday, and settled on James Herriot's Yorkshire for the rest of the week. So basically, stirring the pit for many days in a row is pretty boring, but not boring enough to read James Joyce.

Tonight Anna and I went to the Franklin County, NY Fair in Malone. This is the same fair where the Wilder's would have shown their animals, crops, and needlework. The cattle show is so big there that they have to split it between the Holsteins and the other breeds. The Holstein show ended Wednesday so we didn't see any of them, which meant we also didn't see any of the families we made friends with at Clinton County Fair. However, it also meant that we saw more of the other breeds than I have ever seen in once place, even Milking Shorthorns. So now I have seen, in person, all the dairy breeds. The main attraction (outside of the dairy barn) was bull-riding and it was pretty fun. Unfortunately it was dark and I didn't get any good pictures.

No comments: