Monday, July 23, 2007

Yesterday Wanda let us pick what we wanted to do today because she hadn’t had time with the fair to make our schedules, so I picked herd health with Anna because I hadn’t had it since my second week. There wasn’t too much to do. One thing I did was spread predatory wasp eggs, as part of our fly control regimen. They are very small, about ¼ inch long, and do not pester people or animals. They lay their eggs in the same places pest flies do, and the predatory wasp larvae eat the pest fly larvae, stopping their development. They work extrememly well and are environmentally friendly. The company sends 2 quart size bags every Friday. We spread them in the places flies breed, which is anywhere moist, not just near manure. Also, we keep our manure liquefied in pits, and it is too wet for flies to breed there.

I stopped to visit Cricket on my way back and I think she's happy to have some friends.

No comments: